This costume came kinda out of the bushes for me. I had seen the design before but for some reason I started to pay more attention to it and its details. Before I noticed I had started to plan making it - soon I had planned a skit for it too!
So, time to craft my very first princess costume! I decided to start with the fabric parts as I saw they'd require some experimenting. And boy, the gold details on the skirt almost drove me crazy! And sorry to say, in the end I ended up doing the details with my first option - simple gold paint.
Before I could start painting any details or cutting out any pieces for garments I had tons of fabric-dyeing to do. I ended up having to dye all the fabrics again, except one. Just like for Terra.
|Potato smasher and kitchen timer, invaluable.|
I think I spent four or five days dyeing, since my first experiments ended up in trash and on second ones I had to deepen the color. Better be safe than sorry. rather too light than too dark. Those swatches in the first pic are most I could find, few might be missing. The ombre on the skirt was fun but tricky to do, still not sure if I got the color dark enough. It will have to do, as I already stenciled the gold details! I used three different shades of EMO-colors for the fabrics. Most shades only required from two to five minutes of dyeing, that's how potent the pigments are.
Yes, the gradient could still be darker ;_; Also pictured are the sleeves, that I just squeezed into a knot and dipped the ends to the color.
Below is the stencil I tried to use for the skirt details but which failed miserably.. The stencil plastic was meant for airbrushing and wouldn't stick to fabric at all, so I wasn't able to place it correctly. All those narrow lines, a nightmare I say!
The final details! I would've preferred the gold paint to have bit more shine and OOMPH to it, but no can do... I hope this will show enough. At least I spent hours on it as I had to cut the design in 3 parts out of book cover plastic. Next time I'm doing something like this I'll either borrow or get silk screen equipment x__x
The design for the tabard which I tried to replicate as well as I could. Few days later I found out someone had drawn the design as vector and offered it for download but.. at least this one's homemade and fits to my awkward proportions :D
I got to do embroidery! Whoo! All the cosplays I have seen of this design have just painted the details on the tabard but imo they're quite three-dimensional. I considered committing a suicide by embroidering the gold parts as well as the green parts... but. Let me say, gold thread is no fun at all. It kept breaking apart and the result was not so tidy. This was my first time doing more than simple stitches so I'm quite pleased with the result, even if it could be tidier and more even :D Mirrored designs, why you so mean.
I still had lots of golden lycra that I bought for Terra and used it for the golden parts of the tabard. I didn't want to topstitch the details in place so I ordered some Heat 'n Bond Ultra from ebay. I had seen lots of cosplayers use some miracle glue paper to add details to their costumes and wanted to try that too. It was easy to use and seems to stick quite well. If I still didn't have a bit of sanity left I would've made the skirt details this way too.
|Ungh, my ironing board is so worn and ugly. Should sew new cover for it.|
Above the design has been drawn on Heat'n Bond and ironed onto the fabric. Next I cut out the designs, peeled off the paper backing, placed the detail on the tabard and ironed it into its place :3
The beads were clear but I covered them in blue nailpolish and might add few layers more.
The corset has advanced from this point but here you can see the second version of my patterns. I simply wrapped myself in food wrap and tape and drew on myself how I wanted the corset to look. Not an easy task alone.. Somehow the first edition of patterns had more than few centimeters extra, not sure if a human is more swollen at evening.. x_x After this I still made few more adjustments, mainly to the placement and shape of the seams.
The final corset will have a zipper in front that is covered by the panels which will be closed with threading. I won't add real bones, rigilene should do. I have been trying to lose few kilograms of weight and I have a fear this thing won't fit me at all in the beginning of September anyway. Why bother with bones :D
Oh, the corset fabric. I couldn't for my life find a nice shiny fabric in the right shade so I ended up stitching together a layer of lining fabric and some cotton for structure. In the pic above you can see the lavender shade lining fabric. Fun fact, I originally bought that fabric for my bunny armor's lining and I still have few meters of it.. It was cheap okay?
Wig things. I first ordered the wig on the right which wasn't Zelda at all... Tried my luck, ordering a yellow wig, the one on the left. I had a fear the wig would be too neon but.. trying to find a nice shade of yellow wig isn't easy. Imo Zelda's hair has some darker streaks in it so I will test sewing some of the darker blond wefts into the yellow wig and see how it looks. It could use some more volume anyway :3
Ungh, yellow, horrible color.
I also tried to hunt for simple short-sleeved shirt with collar but wasn't happy with anything I found, so will have to make that too. Now just to find shoes... How hard can it be to find brown school girl shoes x_x
Phuuh, long text is long. I might update before Tracon, or not. Anyway, I hope I will bump to fellow Legend of Zelda cosplayers there!